Thayer Birding Software vs. iPhone Apps
iPhone apps let you see photos, songs, range maps and bird ID information on your phone or iPad. The most popular are made by Sibley and iBird. Others are available from Peterson, Audubon, National Geographic and others.
The Thayer Birding Software DVDs include a huge amount of information and are designed for desktop and laptop computers or notebooks running Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista or XP or Mac OSX 10.4 - 10.8. I like to take my notebook with the Gold edition into the field -- it is smaller and lighter than the Sibley Field Guide!
With the Thayer Birding Software DVDs you can export a song and photo to your iPhone, iPad or other mp3 device and play the songs in the field - just as you can with an app
But with the Thayer Birding DVDs you can also do these things, which most apps will not let you do:
- Use the Identification Wizard to correctly ID an unknown bird
- Compare two birds Side-by side
- Take over 700 quizzes using one of four different quiz formats
- Quickly jump to The Birder's Handbook (700 page book in electronic format) to learn about eggs, nests and more
- Create Custom Lists when you want to study a specific set of birds
- Import your own photos or songs into the software
- Keep track of the birds you have seen and generate Life Lists and Sightings reports
- See hundreds of videos (over 550 videos in the Gold edition) of birds in action
- Install the program on each of your computers - home, work and laptop
- Hear extended bird songs and calls